Three Rivers Wildlife Control

Lieu’s leadership inspires soccer teammates

Eliza Swanson
Senior Emma Lieu, a captain on the girls soccer team, began playing soccer when she was four years old.

Over the course of senior Emma Lieu’s high school soccer career, Baldwin has had three different head coaches, which has created some instability within the team. However, as team captain for two years, Lieu has been able to act as a rock for her teammates.

“She leads by example on the field. Even when we are in bad situations, she always works hard and does her best to make every play,” senior Haley Nieman said. “She’s always there to hype you back up when you make a mistake.”

Junior Addison Giglione agreed.

“She helps the team by stepping up to be a leader when no one else does. She keeps us together and pushes everyone to be the best they can be,” Giglione said.

Lieu said these are her responsibilities as captain.

“As captain, I think it’s important to motivate the girls during tough games and remain positive. I find it rewarding when the girls, especially the underclassmen, come to me for guidance and advice,” Lieu said.

Lieu’s soccer journey started when she was 4 years old because of her mom, Cindy Lieu.

“My mom played soccer all the way to college along with her sisters, so it just runs in the family,” she said.

Over the course of her career, Lieu says soccer has positively impacted her friendships and social life.

“It has brought me some of my best friends, people I genuinely do not think I could live without,” Lieu said.

Her teammates feel the same way. Over the course of the five years they have been playing together, Lieu has been a dependable teammate, Giglione said.

“She’s a teammate that anyone can trust. She’s friends with the whole team, which is so helpful on and off the field. She’s also an incredible player and someone who always is able to move the ball and get us forward,” Giglione said.

Lieu currently plays on three different soccer teams: Baldwin, Pittsburgh Football Club, and Olympic Development Program. She says each team helps her in different ways.

“They have taught me technical skills, sportsmanship, leadership, discipline, dedication, and the importance of being part of a team,” she said.

Lieu has been selected as junior and senior captain as well as being nominated for all-section. She said that, given how competitive the section is, this nomination means a lot.

“It felt both rewarding and humbling, because the section that I am in is difficult and filled with many skilled and amazing players. So being noticed by the other coaches really stood out to me,” she said.

Lieu plans to attend West Liberty University on a soccer and academic scholarship. She wants to become a physician’s assistant and eventually become a soccer coach on the side.