Precision Body

Football team looks for progress in second half of season

Adam Degenhardt
The Baldwin Fighting Highlanders football team plays in WPIAL 5A section.

The Baldwin High School football team has had a rough start, with a 1-4 record at the midway point of the season. But they have made a big change to the offense to try to jumpstart the team.

After the first three games of the season, Head Coach Dana Brown wanted to see what other players had to offer to the team. He made a switch at quarterback, making senior John Kozar more of an all-around player while tasking sophomore Nico Macurak with taking over the offense.

Kozar at first did not like the change, but he has started to become open to the new opportunity.

“It is weird not being under center every snap,” he said. “I am able to contribute to the game in new ways and can be more of an option for us.”

He also thinks that giving Macurak a chance can help prepare the team for the future.

“I think getting in already is really going to help him improve,” he said. “It will get him more prepared for next season and not have to change how he prepares for the season.”

As a sophomore, Macurak had a lot of pressure on him coming into his first varsity football games ever. 

“I wasn’t too nervous when I went in against Upper Saint Clair, but the nerves started to kick in the week of the North Allegheny game,” Macurak said. 

The young QB has thrown for four TDs and 285 passing yards in two starts. 

“I need to get better at being a vocal leader and controlling the offense,” Macurak said “I am not satisfied with anything as of right now because we are not winning games.” 

Meanwhile, the team knows there is work to do on defense as well. Other than in the season-opening victory over Brashear, the Highlanders have not been able to keep an opponent under 40 points. 

Senior linebacker Keith Mincin feels that the team needs to push through adversity more.

“We need to keep our heads up throughout the game,” Mincin said. “We cannot let one score dictate how we play.”

Despite the slow start to the season, the players still think the team has a lot of weapons on offense to help turn things around.

“We have a lot of playmakers on offense,” Mincin said. “If we can pick up the intensity on defense, our offense can carry the rest.”

One major contributor on offense has been senior running back Andrew Sharp. Through the first five games of the season, he has 650 yards with 10 touchdowns.

The Highlanders face unbeaten Peters Township on Friday in the Homecoming Game. The team hopes to make this game a close one to keep fans excited all game.

Looking further into the future, Sharp said the players are particularly hopeful about the game against Moon Township in late October.

“I really think we match up with them very well,” Sharp said. “As long as we stay calm and play to our strengths, we have a good chance to bring a win home.”

Kozar said that with this season’s difficult start, he wants to lead the younger guys to shape Baldwin football in the next few years.

“All I can do as a senior is help the underclassmen get better,” he said. “I want to leave them with a good head start next year.”