Advanced Exterior Cleaning

Cross country teams defeat Bethel, lose to USC

Eliza Swanson
Baldwin’s boys and girls cross country teams compete in WPIALs

The girls and boys cross country teams defeated Bethel Park but lost to Upper Saint Clair at a section meet on Tuesday. 

“I feel like everyone pushed to get personal records yesterday … and we placed really high (against Bethel),” sophomore Julianne Ott said. 

“Our top-scoring boy was Alex Castaneda, our top-scoring girl was Kenzie Hirt, and Bella Niles also did well,” sophomore Molly Gorman said.

The meet was held at White Oak, which is Baldwin’s home course. 

“We did very well there because we’re always there, so it’s a lot easier,” Gorman said. “It’s 3.1 miles, like a 5K.”

Ott hopes that the team will improve its communication for the rest of the season.

“I feel like we just need to push to work together more … and try to run together more, so we can get higher placements and earn more points for our team.”

The loss to USC was due in part to the Panthers having “so many more runners,” Gorman said. “Big groups of them can run well together,” Gorman said. 

But both runners believe in their team, and are hopeful for the next competition.

“I think we are really good at trying to work for our PRs,” Ott said. “People at the end of the race would sprint the whole thing,” Ott said. “I feel like everyone’s a hard worker.”

The team has an invitational on Saturday and their last section meet on Tuesday.