True Value

Quallich moves on to final round of golf championships

Zach Wiatrowski
Freshman Michael Quallich has had a strong season for the Baldwin High School golf team.

Freshman Michael Quallich on Monday tied for eighth place out of 96 golfers in the first round of WPIAL individual championships, earning a spot in the final round next week.

Quallich shot a 79 at the 18-hole course at Latrobe Country Club. He will compete against the golfers who finished in the top 36 places in the final championship round next Monday at Valleybrook Country Club. 

Quallich started off strong, shooting 1 over par on the first 14 holes of the course, including an eagle on the 14th hole. Later his play came back down to Earth a bit as he had to play through some challenges including a wet course.

“The course was extremely wet and I need to harden my mental game,” Quallich said 

Still, he is happy about reaching the final round.

“It feels good but I am excited for the future,” Quallich said

Quallich’s accomplishment did not go unnoticed by his teammates. 

“I am really happy for him and how his determination for the game is paying off,” sophomore Brayden Gremba said.