Hirt Locker

Moder falls short in section singles finals, but qualifies for WPIALs

Evelyn Esek

Even though senior Gabi Moder lost her section finals tennis match on Thursday, she has still qualified for girls tennis singles WPIALs.

On Wednesday, Moder played two qualifying matches at Fox Chapel and won them both. On Thursday, Moder played Shady Side’s number one seed, freshman Meriweather McCargo, and lost 2-6 and 0-6. 

Even though she lost the matches, she still placed number two and qualified for WPIAL girls singles. Moder has those WPIAL matches next week at Bethel Park.

“I was happy about it because this is the furthest I have made it. Last year I made it to third (in section singles),” she said. 

Moder had set a goal to improve from her placement her junior year. 

“I was nervous, even more than last year. If I was able to do it last year, I should be able to do it again,” she said.

Moder said her biggest weakness is her mental game. 

“I need to control mental things more. I have good technique – all matches are just in my head at this point,” she said. She said she also wants to work on her consistency with shots. 

In addition to singles, Moder will also play doubles tennis. On Sept. 27, Moder will play doubles with senior Olivia Garofalo in WPIAL section qualifying. 

Moder has not often played with Garofalo, as her doubles partner last year was Class of 2023 Emma Overlingas. However, she is excited to play with Garofalo. 

“We are a good doubles team. We have fun doing it,” Moder said. 

As for the Baldwin team’s season, Moder said many of the players are seniors. But the team’s number three seed is sophomore Chelsea Luxemburger, and Moder said she has been playing well. 

“Chelsea is number three, so she should play number one next year,” Moder said.

Moder also offered some advice for upcoming tennis players.

“Keep practicing over the summer. If you put in more time and more practice, you’ll have a better chance of beating those better people,” she said.