MBM Contracting

New art festival salutes creativity

BY ZACH WARD
Staff Writer

With proms, Keystone exams, and AP tests dominating the month of May, the art department decided to give students, staff and community members a chance to get rejuvenated at the first Baldwin Art Festival.

Amid music, dance, and food, attendees had the opportunity to experience the creative talents of the high school’s art students.

The show included at least one piece of art from every art student at Baldwin, ranging from metalwork and glass through woodwork, sculpture, and photography, all in the north and south atrium.

“These students commit a large amount of their time working on their projects, and this is a really great way of giving them some recognition,” art teacher Cheryl Foote said.

Notable pieces included senior Alicia Mastroianni’s display of her award-winning depiction of Iwo Jima. It is a large oil painting on canvas.

Although she did not want to sell the piece, art festival patrons were able to purchase prints of her work, along with other students’ work.

Other notable artists included junior Dennis Doyle, who displayed an architecture piece that depicted the county courthouse. This piece along with several other students’ works previously won honors in the regional Scholastic Art and Writing Competition.

Participants said the festival was a great idea.

“I think it is good to emphasize the arts, especially when everyone is stressed about finals and getting their work done,” Doyle said.

Additionally, music was provided by the Baldwinaires and Baldwin band members, and the school’s dance team performed.

The event also raised money for the fund set aside for Brock McCormack, the son of the late physical education teacher George McCormack.

In addition to attendants being able to purchase certain prints of original pieces from the students, ceramics students sold soup in handmade bowls made in class.