MiracleDentalAssociates

Senior auction: Going once, gone

BY ANDREW PRYOR
Staff Writer

The cancellation of senior assistant day ended a tradition dating back at least 20 years and disappointed many students, through administration and senior class officers hope to find a replacement.

In the popular annual senior class fundraiser, seniors would be put up for “auction” to the underclassmen. The seniors then would have to dress up on senior assistant day in whatever costume or outfit chosen by their highest bidders. Those seniors would leave their classes early to escort and carry the highest bidders’ books to their next class.

The decision to end senior assistant day was made last year by administration, Principal Walter Graves said. Graves was not part of the decision, but said he supports it.

“The decision was actually made before I got here, at the end of last year, I believe,” Graves said.

“It’s obviously a disappointment (for students),” he said. But he said the event disrupted the school day too much.

“From an educational standpoint, I am really not in favor of senior assistant day,” Graves said, “My passion is learning, and students can’t learn unless they’re in the classroom,” he said, referring to participants being late to classes because they were performing their duties as assistants.

Graves also said that an unspecified problem with last year’s event also played a role in the decision to cancel the event.

The purpose of the senior assistant day was to raise money for the senior class. Senior class co-sponsor Michelle Kilburn said the event raised anywhere from $700 to $1,200 per year and went to the senior class general fund to be used for things like prom.

So how will that money be raised?

“The class officers are brainstorming some great new ideas,” Graves said.

“We have a lot of ideas that we’re trying to fill in to raise money,” senior class President Tony Thornton said. “Let’s go out and start something else. I kind of like that.”

The sentiment among the senior population was not as optimistic.

“I was really looking forward to doing senior assistant day. I believe it’s a good opportunity to show school spirit and raise money,” senior Jonathan Wicks said. “As soon as I get the opportunity, it’s gone.”

Senior Connor Danielson said that Senior Assistant Day was a good way for the whole school to show spirit.

“It’s not just for seniors. It’s for everybody,” Danielson said.

Graves and Thornton said they saw new opportunity in the decision.

“I feel that the senior class and the students of Baldwin High School will rise above this and come up with something else that will be fun and not impede on the educational process,” Graves says.

Thornton agrees.

“I wanted to have senior auction, but then again starting something new sounds pretty cool to me. We’re going to try and go with the flow and start our own traditions, and put 2014 in the bag.”