Football coaches continue shifting positions

Liam Belan, Staff Writer

The Atlanta Falcons’ recent hiring of Steve Sarkisian as their offensive coordinator perfectly exemplifies the constant musical chairs that college football coaches go through.

In September 2016, Sarkisian wound up at Alabama as an analyst. He only lasted until the end of the regular season in that role, when the departure of offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin a week before the national championship threw Sarkisian into the job.

After his only game as an Alabama coordinator, a loss, Sarkisian left to take the Falcons’ new vacancy.

Sarkisian is just one of several coaches who has gone into this coaching carousel.

New South Florida Coach Charlie Strong was hired after three disappointing seasons at the University of Texas. He had one bowl appearance in three years, a disappointing output from a traditional powerhouse.

Other coaches are moving to bigger programs after thriving at smaller universities.

P.J. Fleck left Western Michigan after a 13-1 season, with the only loss to 11-3 Wisconsin, and will coach at Minnesota next year.

Tom Herman announced in November 2016 that he would become the Texas head coach for the 2017 season after posting a 22-4 record in two seasons at Houston, including a Peach Bowl win over 10-1 Florida State.

Surely, these coaches all watched what freshman Coach Clay Helton did in his first full season at USC.

Helton led the Trojans to a 10-3 season after starting out 1-3 in their first four games. This included a thrilling Rose Bowl win over 11-3 Penn State.

Along with his incredible first season, Helton and the Trojans recruited the fourth-best class in the country for 2017 and hold the fifth-best class for 2018 high school graduates.