Class of 2017: Keep the memories alive

Class of 2017: Keep the memories alive

Bree Staley, News Editor

Our entire senior class has come down with a terrible, inescapable disease commonly known as “senioritis.” The symptoms include lack of motivation, extreme fatigue and laziness. There is only one known cure for this dreadful disease: graduating.
With senioritis plaguing our minds, we may forget to make the most of our last days in high school. Though the days leading up to graduation seem agonizing, they are the days we will soon cherish the most.
As we move on to bigger and better things, we’ll begin to forget the countless days spent in the halls of Baldwin High School. We’ll always remember our last day of school, senior prom, and graduation, but we’ll soon forget what an average school day was like.
We won’t remember dragging ourselves out of bed each morning at the crack of dawn. Although we won’t miss being irritable and sleep-deprived every day, we will no longer get to complain about it with our closest friends. There will never be another time where we’re forced to spend the entire day with our peers.
Never again will we have to visit the attendance office after arriving late because we needed that Dunkin’ Donuts coffee to make it through the day. ”The student lot was closed” will no longer be a valid excuse for being late. Though getting to school on time was a hassle, especially once the “senioritis” set in, it taught us how important it is to be on time.
“Sick days” will never be the same when you can’t spend them at home watching terrible reality television shows all day. As adults, we won’t have our parents nearby to take care of us when we’re sick. Unfortunately, most of us won’t appreciate this family time until we aren’t living at home anymore.
The work may have been tough, but we may never again have the gratifying feeling of turning in a high school essay or doing well on a test we thought we failed. We probably won’t remember all of the books that we read in English class, even our favorites. Although the plots may be a blur, the lessons taught in some of these books will stick with us forever.
We no longer have to suffer through tough word problems and impossible math tests. We’ve overused the excuses about our dogs eating our math homework or accidentally leaving our worksheets at home. When we get a real job, these justifications won’t cut it. We’ll soon learn to appreciate our teachers’ lenience when we enter the “real world” and deadlines are not negotiable.
Nostalgia will soon set in when we reminisce on the good memories. We’ll miss the trivial things, like accidentally almost setting the school on fire because we misused a Bunsen burner in science class, or laughing until we cried at lunch with friends. Though we’ll never get these moments back, they’ll always hold a special place in our hearts.
All of these things may seem insignificant now, but it’s the special little things in high school that are worth remembering. We can’t let “senioritis” warp our minds into thinking that high school was meaningless. The cliche that high school is the best four years of our lives may not be true, but our days at Baldwin are definitely worth remembering.
After we toss our caps in the air at the end of graduation, we are free to take our lives in whatever direction we please. Though this feeling of freedom is liberating, we shouldn’t just leave the lessons that we learned behind. No matter where we end up in our lives, we will always share some fun memories from Baldwin.