Student art aims to inspire children

Trish Esposito, Staff Writer

Baldwin’s participation in the Memory Project aims to inspire disadvantaged children in vulnerable countries with portraits of the kids created by art students.
The Memory Project is an organization that reaches out to schools’ art programs to help children from countries that have endured severe trauma, such as natural or economic disasters.
“It’s a great cause,” art teacher Cheri Foote said. “It lets them realize someone is thinking about them.”
Senior Natasha Yeso said the project helps others in vulnerable countries, but also reminds Baldwin students to give back.
“It is important because it is basically their only possession, so it’s nice for them to have something that is theirs,” Yeso said. “We should give back from our resources and spread the wealth.”
The organization sends volunteers to take pictures of the children and sends them to the school’s art program for students to create portraits of the children. When the portraits are finished, they are delivered to the children.
“I usually make art projects for myself or my family,” senior Natalie Weida said. “It was strange to give it away because I’m not attached to it.”
“It showed me any little thing you can do can make a difference,” Yeso said.
The children’s reaction as they receive the portraits is captured on video and the students will get to witness those reactions next year.
“It was so sad drawing a kid who was so happy but he has nothing,” senior Alex Martin said. “Art is a universal language, so I hope they get more out of it.”
The art students said they hope the children find solace in the art they created.
“I hope it gives them a sense of purpose and creativity,” Martin said. “It’s individualistic. There is no right or wrong way to do it.”
The students also hope to continue to donate their art to the Memory Project organization in the future.
“I totally plan to in college,” Yeso said. “Maybe once a year.”
“It was so much fun,” senior Shelby Terleski said. “I really enjoyed doing it. It makes them so happy.”
Baldwin has been associated with the Memory Project organization for seven years and has created art of children from countries such as Peru, Rwanda, Bolivia, and Haiti since.
“I hope they really like the pictures I drew,” Yeso said. “I hope a kid who likes art maybe will be inspired to pick up a pencil to create their own art.”