todd

ELL students share Nepali culture

BY EVE JOLO
    Staff Writer

Most Baldwin kids can teach you how to “Dougie” on the dance floor, or go completely insane for the “Harlem Shake.” But last month some of them learned how to “Doom” — a Hindi dance taught by a Nepali student.

As part of National Foreign Language Week, English as a Second Language students taught world language classes about their culture, heritage, and refugee experiences. In one class, Nepali students told the foreign language students where they were from and how they got to this country.

The world language students were broken up into several groups, and the Nepali students taught them some traditional dances. One of the dances featured back paddling with arm twisting and hip movements, and was accompanied by a spin.

“This is `Doom,’ ” said Manoj Sharma, who was teaching it. “Doom” was featured in a movie, Sharma said.
    “It’s performed by my favorite actor. He is my idol,” Sharma said.

Another dance number that stole the show was the “Taal Taal,” which was a traditional dance taught by Krishna Chhetri.

A Power Point presentation showed the world language students about life in Nepal. When asked about the difference between immigrants and refugees, the language students correctly answered that immigrants move to a new home to search for a better life, while refugees are forced to leave their homelands because of fear of persecution and for safety.

When the Nepali students were asked about the challenges they faced, “learning English and making friends” were common responses, while Kushal Rai cited “the weather.”

The Nepali students said that the hardest thing for them to do was to leave behind their extended families and friends.

Some of the Nepali students came with their parents, and if they were lucky enough, grandparents and other family members. Some, though, came with limited family members, while others joined extended family members for the move.

“I miss my place,” Sharma said, referring to his home back in Nepal.