Rehearsing for Gene Kellys: My Story

Katie Zemaitis, Staff Writer

Staff Writer Katie Zemaitis is a Best Supporting Actress nominee in the Gene Kelly Awards. This is her look at rehearsals for the performance and at the award ceremony which will be held Saturday at the Benedum Center.

Gene Kelly rehearsals can be stressful, but when our director told us to take the lyrics we learned and apply them to our own lives, I realized that this process is about so much more than just winning awards.

Many people are familiar with the Gene Kelly awards, but they may not realize that nominees, selected cast members, and alumni spend the week preparing for their performance. An opening medley is learned as well as a finale number. Best Actor and Actress nominees each prepare a medley to perform before the winner of their category is announced.

Walking into the CLO for our first rehearsal was definitely intimidating. I didn’t know any of the other supporting actresses, and I thought that rehearsals were going to be really cutthroat.

I was so wrong.

After introducing myself to all of the nominees, I realized I had nothing to be worried about. Everyone was incredibly nice and surprisingly supportive.

The wonderful thing about the Gene Kellys is that it connects people who otherwise might not cross paths. I am currently in a group message with the supporting actors and actresses and I’m learning more about each of them every day.

Working and learning with people who share the same interests as you is exciting and satisfying. Coming together as schools and also performers is something that is unique to the Kelly Awards.

Obviously I am rooting for Baldwin, but meeting people from different schools and seeing how much work everyone puts into their shows makes me realize that we are all in the same boat.

The Gene Kelly Awards are about coming together as a theater community and promoting what we love to do. Competition is important, but sharing art and creating networks is paramount.

Our opening medley ends with the lyrics, “Those kids will live and breathe right on the page, and once they’re center stage, you watch what happens.”

Giving students the opportunity to perform together in such a welcoming setting is what makes the Gene Kellys special to me.