The fading fads throughout the years

Laura Basciotta, Staff Writer

From collecting Japanese erasers to being amused by flipping a water and finally to spinning a contraption on our fingers known as the fidget spinner. Seniors have seen so many trends fade away as quickly as they appear.

Back in elementary school, these trends seemed to appear more than any other years in school. To be a part of the cool crowd, kids had to have whatever was in at that moment. Kids had to keep up by visiting Learning Express or Toys R Us weekly.

The most memorable trend was Webkinz, which cluttered almost every kid’s room and can be found stuffed in the back of some closets even today. Other trends earning honorable mentions include Smencils, Japanese erasers, and Squishes. All of these trends shaped the childhood years and cannot be forgotten.

In middle school, people strayed away from objects and focused more on who could complete the cinnamon challenge. However, the frequent tagging of friends to complete the challenge next stopped as soon as the challenge proved to be deadly.

Freshman year everyone seemed to be addicted to playing Evil Apples or even Fun Run. Fun run allowed people to race against each other under silly nicknames, but this game did not stick around for more than a month.

During  junior year, people became more concerned with their ability to flip a water bottle than what was going on around them. The task challenged people to try to flip water bottles onto cabinets, people, and any place imaginable. The water bottles had to hold a precise amount of water for this to work and some people seemed to master this.

Now with the closing of the school year, fidget spinners are found in everyone’s hands. The little gadget can cost as much as $25 and is called the perfect stress reliever. Everyone may run out and buy one of these with the approaching weeks of finals, but the fidget spinner will soon join the rest of the trends as just a memory.