Baldwin creates Above and Beyond Award

Jarrod Chermely, Staff Writer

To recognize people who dedicate their time to helping Baldwin-Whitehall students, the district has created the Above and Beyond Award.

This year’s honorees will be recognized at the Highlander Hall of Fame gala on Saturday at the South Hills Country Club.

Baldwin High School’s honoree is Jesse Siefert, who works for Medical Rescue Team South Authority (MRTSA). Principal Dr. Walter Graves said he chose Siefert for the award because of his outstanding volunteer work for the high school.

“Being involved in the school district is something I’ve always done,

— Siefert said

“He dedicates his time to the school, and makes sure we do things safely,” Graves said, “He has helped with mock crash and plans to educate the teachers this year on (the opioid overdose drug) Narcan.”

Seifert grew up in Whitehall and attended Baldwin-Whitehall schools, graduating in 2000.

“Since graduation some say I never left,” Seifert said.

Siefert has been volunteering his time to Baldwin since he was in sixth grade, helping with the Little Dribblers Basketball program.

Siefert has since worked in many areas of Baldwin High School, teaching the first adult piano class, as well as serving as assistant marching band director and technical director for school musicals.

Siefert has also volunteered much of his time for the high school over the years in programs like Project Liberty, ALICE, and Prom Promise.

“Being involved in the school district is something I’ve always done,” Seifert said, “There is very much a sense of family within the district, and we do what we can to make it a better place.”

Seifert has three children: third-grader Callie and second-grader Logan at Whitehall Elementary, and Brock, a preschooler.

Siefert said he plans to keep helping the district in any way he can for the rest of his life.

“If someday people say that I loved and served my family well and I gave of my time and resources in order to make a difference; I’ll be a very happy man,” he said.