Column: One-year college careers sometimes backfire

Arlen Hooks, Staff Writer

Most kids see college as a two or four-year financial burden where they obtain the knowledge to live in the “real world.” However, elite college basketball freshmen usually never have to travel down that road.

These athletes alter the sport by playing one season, and then signing million-dollar contracts, becoming financially set for life prior to their 20th birthday.

Major universities such as Duke and Kansas have accepted that their athletic scholarship money is being wasted on players who will only contribute for a couple months, but no university has embraced this situation more than of Kentucky.

Since John Calipari has taken over as head coach of the Wildcats in 2009-10, 17 players have played only one season under him.

Seven years ago the Kentucky freshman duo of Demarcus Cousins and John Wall declared for the draft, taking two of the top five spots in the NBA draft.

Over the years, both have averaged career double doubles and are among players who scored over 50 points in one game this season. Cousins and Wall have cemented themselves as franchise players and are often considered the fastest point guard and most dominant big man, respectively, in the game.

More recently, 7 – footers Anthony Davis and Karl Anthony Towns have emerged as the NBA’s most versatile centers, with ferocious dunks and casual 15 foot jumpers.

Both average 22 points and 10 rebounds for their career, and Davis is off to an extremely hot start, averaging 29 points per game, while Towns is 32 percent from behind the arch and 81 percent from the free throw line.

However, success is not guaranteed for everyone, and a few of Calipari’s players lost their way in “one and done” hype and left for the draft without developing proper skills needed for the next level.

The most notable have been Marquis Teague, Skal Labissiere, Daniel Orton, and Archie Goodwin. These players left Lexington for the NBA after teammates took their college starting job. All these players are now either in the D League or overseas, refusing to give up on a dream that ended with a mistake at age 18.

Kentucky’s current team starts four freshmen, and small forward Malik Monk has already dropped 47 points in a game, while point guard De’ Aron Fox completed a rare triple double at the collegiate level.

Once again in March, these young men will be faced with the choice of instant millions or an education.