Book fair boosts library

Emilee Gruntz, Web Editor

When people need to buy books, one option is to go to a bookstore.
With the high school library looking to raise money to buy books for its collection, students and staff members went to Barnes & Noble on Dec. 11, for the annual Book Fair fundraiser.
When any customers at the store mentioned Baldwin during checkout, 10 percent of their purchases would be donated to the library fundraiser.
About 10 student clubs pitched in to help out with the fundraiser, offering fun events for kids or services for shoppers.
Among them were the National Honor Society, offering free gift wrapping; the senior class, with members welcoming customers as they entered, and the Robotics Club, which taught younger kids about robotics.
“The senior class thought it was a great way to bring all the different clubs and the entire school together,” senior class sponsor Dr. Dan Harrold said.
This is the fourth year Baldwin has participated in the Book Fair program.
The first two years, the money raised at the event went toward the purchase of Kindles and accessories. Last year and this year, the focus has been on purchasing more young adult fiction books for the library.
“I have a group of ninth-grade boys who are avid readers and enjoy this genre. I just never seem to have enough for them to read,” librarian Brigetta Del Re said.
In previous years, the fundraiser has raised between $950 and $1,200 per year. The high school won’t know this year’s total until Barnes & Noble completes calculations.
Baldwin got involved in the fundraiser as soon as Del Re heard about it.
“I definitely could use more funds, so when I heard of the idea I was completely on board,” Del Re said.
The clubs come out to support the event and raise money for the library.
“The Book Fair is a chance for each club to see each other in action and see everyone do something for the school on the same day. It’s kind of like the winter version of the Homecoming Carnival,” Harrold said.
Del Re said the school library is a place for students to connect intellectually and socially. She believes this is one reason that the fair is such a huge success.
“The fair shows how Baldwin is one big community full of great collaboration and proves true our motto of ‘We are One,’” Del Re said.