Highlander wants more school spirit

Katie Zemaitis, Staff Writer

Mya Green has never been a cheerleader or a leader of the student section. She was intrigued, though, with the thought of being the Highlander mascot.
With plans to promote school spirit and get people excited about this school year, Green decided to try out for the position.
“It seemed like a fun way to show school spirit and join together as a school,” Green said. Green has always enjoyed going to school and to school sporting events. Being able to lead students during these times is an exciting new responsibility for her.
With many students juggling a schedule full of activities, work, and other time commitments, it’s difficult sometimes to keep enthusiasm and excitement rolling among students.
“I want to keep everyone excited. There’s a lack of school spirit at Baldwin and it’s cool that I might be able to change that,” Green said. Being able to stand with the cheerleaders at all the games gives Green the position to get the students’ attention.
Along with performing at many Baldwin events, Green created a Twitter account, @BHSHighlander, to keep students in the loop about what is going on in the school. With her main goal being to promote school spirit, Twitter is the perfect platform to get ideas and news across.
“I’m really excited to represent Baldwin. There are so many different people in this school and it would be amazing if we could all come together and support our teams,” Green said.
Students were asked to submit an application that asked personality questions and goals for the school year. After reviewing student applications, Vince Sortino, athletic director, chose Green for the mascot position.
“She stuck out from the other candidates,” Sortino said.
Being the Highlander takes energy, time, and enthusiasm. Having to be at football and basketball games is a huge time commitment that many students just aren’t able to keep up with.
“She was impressive with her answers, and full of energy,” Sortino said.
Knowing that Green is a member of the volleyball team, Sortino made sure her coaches were okay with this commitment before choosing her.
Being the second female and first black Highlander makes Green a trailblazer of sorts, but Green’s personality alone earned her the spot as Baldwin’s mascot, Sortino said.
“It doesn’t matter whether you are male or female. Everyone is a student here at Baldwin,” he said.