Lunch prices rising

Allison Stinelli, Staff Writer

Students who buy pizza and chicken are paying 40 cents more per meal than students who choose other entrees, under a new pricing program in the cafeteria this year.
The pizza and chicken entrees now are called the Highlander Meal. The cost is $3, while other entrees cost $2.60.
Food Service Director Joyce Weber said students pay more for those items because they feature more expensive ingredients this year.
“The quality of the actual product is more expensive than other options available,” Weber said. “Product made from … all-white meat is more expensive than product made from chopped and formed meat. The cost of 100 percent mozzarella cheese topping for the Big Daddy pizza is more expensive than the 50-50 blend of cheese on another pizza brand.”
Students who just punch in their student ID number at checkout might not know the cost difference. Weber said a newsletter with the pricing change was sent to parents in August, and the prices are posted in the food court and at the register.
In recent years the cafeteria has run at a deficit. The deficit for the 2014-15 school year, the most recent data available, totaled $142,564.
One factor the cafeteria must deal with is the increasing food and labor costs each year, Weber said.
The cafeteria plans to offer several new food and beverage options this year.
“Throughout the fall semester we will continue to introduce new items on the chicken station,” Weber said. “Some examples are the all-natural hot and spicy wings, regular chicken wings, the ultimate hot and spicy chicken patty and the breaded chicken patty.”
New pizzas are also going to be available, including a meat-lover’s pizza and a chicken buffalo pizza. Other new items included additional vegan/vegetarian options.
Some students enjoy the new lunch meals, like sophomore Meghan Bradley.
“I like the different varieties of food offered. The chicken is my favorite,” Bradley said.
Bradley believes the new options will be well-liked and the varieties will be popular with the students.
However, not all students enjoy the Highlander meal.
Senior Kevin Skinkis enjoys the food but said the lack of options get boring.
“Sometimes there is not even a main course,” Skinkis said.
The food service department is looking for students willing to attend monthly meetings to provide feedback on the breakfast and lunch programs, taste test foods, and promote school meal programs.