Dodds trades in office job for teaching

Laura Basciotta and Elizabeth Solenday

Spanish teacher William Dodds is one of the newest additions to the Baldwin staff, but he was not always a teacher. Dodds used to work in an office but it made him crave something different.
He first worked in a lobbying company as a temp, and later worked for a publishing company.
Dodds was unhappy at these jobs and wanted something that allowed him to interact more and get out of sitting in a chair all day.
His discontent with these jobs made him decide to attend the University of Pittsburgh to get his master’s degree in education.
His sudden urge for something new started when he decided sitting at a desk all day wasn’t fulfilling.
“I hated that I wasn’t up and moving. Teaching gives you the chance to get up and really interact with your students,” Dodds said.
While completing his master’s, he interned at Brashear High School and then he subbed at North Hills High School for one year.
“Those schools had a different feel from Baldwin. I love how Baldwin feels like a family. It’s a big school with a small feel because of how close everyone is,” Dodds said.
Dodds found his passion when he started coaching as well as participating in soccer and realized he liked motivating people. Dodds still coaches for the Hot Spurs team in Cheswick and at Pittsburgh Soccer Academy.
“He’s a great new Spanish teacher, and when you walk into his room he has scarves from various soccer teams around he world, which is cool,” sophomore Meghan Bradley said.
Dodds’ passion for soccer started when he was little and decided to take up the sport. As he got older he became more involved by coaching and following teams more in depth.
“I love how soccer brings many parts of the world together,” Dodds said.
The scarves Dodds’ has collected over the years. Each scarf is from a different country.
“All Spanish teachers usually have stereotypical décor, so it’s nice to have something authentic in the room,” sophomore Nihad Hebib said.
Dodds’ love for soccer influenced his decision to teach Spanish.
He thinks that it is unfortunate that it’s normal for most Americans to only speak one language.
“I believe Spanish is going to become a dominant language in the near future as we move towards becoming a more bilingual country,” Dodds said.