Goalie shines for boys soccer

Goalie shines for boys soccer

CJ Norwood and Olivia Farmer

Sophomore Jackson Brandwene has been a standout goalkeeper for the boys soccer team this season, but he didn’t have a traditional introduction to playing that position.
Having started playing soccer at age 5, Brandwene was a 10-year-old when his coach suggested that a switch to goalkeeper might be a good idea.
“When I was younger I was clumsy, and my coach said if I was always going to be on the ground all the time, I might as well be productive,” Brandwene said.
That began a goalkeeping career that has led to a big role this year with the Highlanders, which has been appreciated by his teammates.
“Jackson is a key part of the team and our defense,” junior Laun Thar Eh said.
Brandwene has started on varsity for both of his years at the high school. He also plays for a club team.
“Club soccer is a much faster-paced game in that it is a more skill-based game,” Brandwene said.
His mentor is Pittsburgh Riverhounds goalkeeper Hunter Gilstrap. Brandwene played two years at the Riverhounds’ academy, and said Gilstrap “taught me everything I know.”
With the Highlanders, Brandwene is very vocal, before and during games.
“He is a very loud player on the field,” Eh said.
The idea, Brandwene said, is that “it helps to keep the team organized.”
He also uses his vocal style to rally the team.
“He does a good job hyping up the team before games and during halftime,” Eh said.
The best and worst moments of his Baldwin season came in the same game, when the Highlanders defeated previously unbeaten Peters Township.
“It’s good to show the team that we can win, and it will be good to tell the freshmen about next year,” Brandwene said.
In that same game, however, Brandwene got a concussion when he was kneed in the head, which ended his season.
While the team had its ups and downs this year, Brandwene said that “this season is about bringing the juniors, sophomores, and freshmen together as a team for next year.”
Ultimately, Brandwene’s ultimate goal is to be scouted by colleges. He has already been contacted by a few schools but hasn’t received any official offers.
Meanwhile, he enjoys playing for Baldwin and draws support from his family.
“My family motivates me. They like to watch me play, and my grandfather is my biggest supporter,” he said.