Slow-pitch softball delivers consistency

Photo via Google

Baldwin softball continued their strong season with a huge win against Peters Township

Emilee Gruntz, Web Page Editor

Baldwin’s slow-pitch softball team looks to further their successful season this year.
Coming off the loss of six seniors last year, the team looks to go further using the four seniors they currently have.
“All of the players on the team are strong athletes, some even crossing over in multiple sports,” Coach Dan Knezevich said.
Although the team is young and improving, they hope to go further than last year’s team, which lost in the semi-finals. They lost the starting pitcher, second baseman, shortstop, third baseman, and right center fielder.
“Yes, the team is young, but we expect them to step up,” Knezevich said.
Players said they see no reason they cannot continue to thrive.
“I do not see much change in this year’s season. We all get along still and we continue to support each other more and more each game,” senior Jaz Wicks said.
The team’s leaders are senior Georgia Berk and junior Emma Berta.
“Berk and Berta are leading the team in batting averages,” Knezevich said.
The team got off to a 2-4 start. They play doubleheaders every game and were able to take both games from their rival Bethel Park.
“The girls never gave up. Simply put, singles win games and that’s what the girls did,” Knezevich said.
Senior Erin Ferrari has been on the slow pitch varsity all four years of high school.
“I think this is the strongest varsity team I have been all four years. We have been really clicking well this year and playing as a team,” Ferrari said.
The girls are hoping the younger players will be able to help the team with the championship goal this year.
The team is currently lacking in combining a good hitting and fielding game.
“A lot of the other teams have good fielding, but none of them are a true challenge to beat this season,” Wicks said.