Girls volleyball readies for first round of playoffs

Via Creative Customs

The boys’ volleyball team suffered a 3-0 loss against Canon Mac yesterday, leaving the team with a 1-3 record.

SARAH FADER, Copy Editor

The girls volleyball team plays Penn-Trafford at home tonight in the first round of playoffs.

“No one believed that we could win again, and we want to prove everyone wrong,” senior Erin Ferrari said.

The team hit a short rough patch this year, after winning back-to-back WPIAL titles the past two years. But the team got better by working together and ended the season on a roll.

Ferrari cited the play of freshman Allison Murray as being partly responsible for the team’s recent success.

“She’s really strong and she got better. It’s amazing she has three years left,” Ferrari said.

Standout Maddie Sgattoni, meanwhile, is one of the seniors who will want to end their time here on a high note.

As the Highlanders are going into the game tonight they feel confident in themselves and in their abilities due to their coaching staff, but they are realistic, Ferrari said.

“Playoffs is a whole different thing. Everyone plays different — for good or worse, we don’t really know,” Ferrari said.

If the team wins, they will play the winner of the North Allegheny and Connellsville game in round two.