pages

Lebron’s uncertain future means the Lakers should consider rebuild

The Lakers have been a very dominant team throughout the NBA in the past few decades. Image via NBA

LeBron James, a future hall of famer and arguably the best basketball player of all time, has said he is unsure of his future. That should get the Los Angeles Lakers thinking about what comes next for the franchise.

James is a 20-time all star and the NBA’s all-time scoring leader. But after the Lakers lost to the Denver Nuggets 4-1 in the first round of the playoffs, he declined to say whether he had played his last game for the Lakers.

With James having one year left on a contract that includes a player option to seek free agency in the 2024-25 season, his future is open. If his son, Bronny James, gets drafted this spring, it would not be surprising if Lebron joined him on that team.

James’s announcement not only creates questions about his future, but creates questions about the Lakers as a franchise.

The Lakers have always been known to have outstanding basketball players and they have won 17 NBA titles. 

In recent years, though, they have had harder times. Since 2020, when they won the championship in the bubble, the Lakers have not been able to get back to the finals.

Since James joined the team, he has brought other established star players along with him. But because the newest generation of the NBA is starting to come into its own, the Lakers are at risk of falling behind.

Instead of trying to keep their team together like they have over the years, it is time for them to invest in a rebuild.

— Jackson Sgattoni

Consider the Oklahoma City Thunder: After losing star players Russel Westbrook and Kevin Durant, the team decided that it was time for a rebuild.

That was a great choice, as the Oklahoma City Thunder are the number one seed in the West this year. Their lineup has an average age of 23.92, making them the youngest team to ever be a one seed.

The Lakers should definitely consider a rebuild. If they do not, the future could become more difficult.