Zach Landscaping

Essential Listening: ‘Crystal Castles II’ brings new style to the electronic scene

Crystal Castles II by Crystal Castles was released in 2010. Photo via Lies Records.

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series.

Crystal Castles is best known for its self-titled debut album, which had immense success in the 2000s and then recently rose in popularity again. However, there is more potential in their less popular albums, like Crystal Castles II.

This album features hard vocals from the lead singer Alice Glass in which she talks about her experiences with trauma and abuse throughout her music career. The instrumentals remain strong while still maintaining the message of her story.

Songs like “Celestia” and “Baptism” capture Crystal Castles’ amazing instrumentals and beat. They both touch on new beginnings and struggle with personal battles. 

Crystal Castles’ most popular song on the album, “Suffocation,” definitely deserves the attention that it has gained over the years. The vocals and instruments flow together and generally make a nearly perfect song. 

One song, “Not In Love,” features Robert Smith, the lead singer of the Cure. While it is a good song, it makes a sudden shift in contrast with the rest of the album. 

Listeners who enjoy experimental electro music should definitely give this album a listen.