Subzero

Essential Listening: Green’s soulful sounds created a classic

The Album Lets Stay together shows the experiences of people in love. Photo courtesy of Hi records.

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series.

Soul singer Al Green’s 1972 album, Let’s Stay Together, represents the complexities, pain, and joy one experiences with love.

The album’s opening track, “Let’s Stay Together,” became a commercial success when it was first released, and it quickly became known as Green’s signature song. In “Let’s Stay Together,” Green addresses his lover and emphasizes that they must stick together through good and bad times due to their unique connection. 

Similarly, the album’s eighth track, “Judy,” further displays Green’s devotion and admiration for his lover. In “Judy,” Green explains how she has changed his life for the better. Throughout the song, he repeats the lyric, “Since I met Judy, / Well my life has been one sweet song.” 

However, the album’s seventh track, “How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?” falls on the opposite spectrum of the album’s opener. Its melody is slow, and Green’s volume and tone throughout the song convey his despair. 

Although Green’s version is a cover of the original Bee Gees’ song, his performance of the song stylistically differs from the original and delivers listeners a new perspective. 

Throughout the entire album, Green utilizes the background instrumentals to set the mood of the songs. Although the jazz instrumentals are consistent, their beats and melodies range from upbeat to solemn. 

Through his lyricism, Green enables listeners to deeply understand his experience with love and heartbreak.