Portraits by Kathi

Bows trend will fade like others

Hritika Pokhrel
Freshman Gwen Gordon wears a black bow with her outfit. Bows are a resurfaced fashion trend.

Bows have been a trend for a few months now, but they just seem to be like the “millennial mustache trend” in 2015.

Although bows were a trend in the ’60s, they seem to have resurfaced on social media. The only reason people have decided to put bows on everything and make them a trend again is because they have been seen from a new perspective.

The bows this time, though, are not as big or bold as they were back then. 

The trend started with fashion brands, such as Sandy Liang, putting bows in their models’ hair. Then Simone Rocha put small, twisted bows on her models’ faces and hair on a runway, which was almost revolutionary for trend followers. 

The accessory took off in November 2023 and, like other trends, was all over almost all platforms. 

There is no need for bows to be everywhere.

It started as a cute accessory, and that led to many others using bow emoji as an illustration when telling a joke on social media. Many others started tattooing bows on themselves as a part of the trend as well. 

The mustache trend was the same thing. Mustaches were on everything, from T-shirts to accessories to people tattooing them on themselves. The most popular version was putting a mustache on the side of your finger and then holding the finger above your upper lip.

Bows in particular are used to express femininity, which makes them different from other popular trends. The trend itself, though, is the same as any other fashion trend.

However, people seem to be taking the whole “coquette” aesthetic too seriously. There is no need for bows to be everywhere. Trend followers seem to think that the “coquette” aesthetic is only pink bows and flowy skirts, but it’s not.

Like the mustaches, the bows are probably going to go out of fashion soon as well. The internet seems to be doing the same thing every few years and almost everyone online is susceptible to it: Cow patterns and bucket hats in 2020 were everywhere, but those trends are clearly out of style because everyone grew out of them.