Behr bros

Iwaju makes history as first African Animated series with Disney

Iwaju marks the first African animated series by Disney. Iwaju means “in future” in the tribal ethnic language Yoruba of Nigeria. Photo Courtesy of Disney +.

Iwaju marks the first African animated series by Disney. Iwaju means “in future” in the tribal ethnic language Yoruba of Nigeria. It serves as the first of many displays of Nigerian production companies partnering with mainstream platforms like Disney. 

Set in futuristic Lagos, Nigeria, the series focuses on the main character Tola, a highly sheltered and wealthy 10-year-old who has a curiosity about life in the poverty-stricken mainland. The primary plot line of the series is that an antagonist is kidnapping individuals for his own personal gain and bidding. 

Tola befriends Kole, a boy from the mainland, and together they investigate the poverty gap and secrets of the wealthy and mainland islands of Nigeria. 

The series effectively highlights the economic disparities within Nigeria as well as normalized classism within the country. While simultaneously trying to deliver an approach to combating the issue at hand, it illuminates the rich aspects of Yoruba culture. 

The series uses phases in Yoruba and Nigerian Pidgin, which is an English-based Creole language. It also features popular foods, such as puff puff, which is a fried dough ball that is usually served as a street food. 

Iwaju is a groundbreaking series that will make a path for other African animated series in Disney. It addresses a prevalent issue while entertaining the viewers with the sci-fi genre. Overall, Iwaju is a brilliantly crafted television series that most definitely deserves a watch.  The series can be streamed on Disney +.