todd

What to Binge Watch: Lovable characters drive ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’

Brooklyn Nine-Nine stands out in the sea of mundane sitcoms. Photo Courtesy of NBC.

Running out of TV shows and movies to stream? The Purbalite is here to help, with another installment of our What to Binge Watch feature.

The sitcom Brooklyn Nine-Nine has gained a dedicated fan base thanks to its top-level humor, lovable characters, and clever writing. 

Created by Michael Schur and Dan Goor, the show first aired in 2013 and has been spreading smiles ever since.

The series, set in the fictional 99th precinct of the New York City Police Department, revolves around a group of detectives, with each episode having a hilarious blend of crime-solving antics, workplace shenanigans, and heartwarming moments.

The cast, including Andy Samberg, Terry Crews, Stephanie Beatriz, and Andre Braugher, deliver standout performances.

Whether it is Detective Jake Peralta’s daily clashes with Captain Ray Holt or the intimidating Detective Rosa Diaz’s incredibly dark yet humorous personality, the show ensures each character is developed thoroughly. Other standouts include the gentle giant Sergeant Terry Jeffords, the controlling and overachieving perfectionist Amy Santiago, the cynical and lazy Gina Linetti, and the hungry duo Hitchcock & Scully. 

Brooklyn Nine-Nine’s success lies in its ability to balance humor with genuine emotion. The show tackles serious topics, like racism, sexism, homophobia, police brutality, gender, and illegal immigration, while never losing its light-hearted charm. 

The show effortlessly blends laughter with important themes, making it both entertaining and very thought-provoking. 

With its blend of witty dialogue and memorable characters, Brooklyn Nine-Nine is a must-watch for anyone in need of a good laugh. 

All eight seasons of Brooklyn Nine-Nine are available to stream on Netflix.