demont technical

What to binge-watch: ‘Gravity Falls’ provides a hilarious yet thrilling mystery

Gravity Falls may be a kids show but its writing makes it enjoyable regardless. Photo courtesy of Disney.
‘Gravity Falls’ may be a kid’s show but it’s writing makes it enjoyable regardless. Photo courtesy of Disney.

Running out of TV shows and movies to stream? The Purbalite is here to help, with another installment of our What to Binge Watch feature. 

Gravity Falls is, without hyperbole, one of the greatest cartoons ever created. The show perfectly balances the humor in mystery while managing to tell a family-friendly story that also brings the occult and weird into focus.

Most children’s shows like this, especially those made by Disney, the company that owns Gravity Falls, struggle with captivating an adult audience. Of course, being a kid’s show, that is not the intention. Even so, when a show is good enough, an audience will form, regardless of the intended audience. Luckily, Gravity Falls can be watched by people of all ages, with its creative and timeless humor, charming characters, and compelling storylines. 

Dipper and Mable Pines are twins forced to spend the summer with their Grunkle (great uncle) Stanford Pines, who lives far away in the fictional small town of Gravity Falls, Oregon. 

The town itself is littered with hilarious recurring characters, so viewers should pay attention to everyone on screen.

In addition to the beloved main cast and side characters, Gravity Falls has no shortage of antagonists who are genuine threats, most notably Bill Cipher, a floating two-dimensional triangle demon with one eye, and Gideon Gleeful, a short, greedy kid with white hair who is obsessed with getting his revenge on the Pines twins.

The show’s creator, Alex Hirsch, was not afraid to take risks, making it truly one of a kind, as most shows are not as well-written or comically sound. The show has mysteries left to be solved to this day, with many still holding out hope for a canon continuation in some form.