flexible recovery

Essential Listening: Weezer’s first record won’t leave you ‘blue’

The self-titled album by the widely admired American rock band Weezer, known as “the Blue Album,” is an underrated auditory masterpiece. Photo via Spotify.com

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series.

The self-titled album by the widely admired American rock band Weezer, known as “The Blue Album,” is an underrated auditory masterpiece. 

Formed in 1992, Weezer has changed the sphere of alternative rock music for the better, having sold over 35 million records worldwide. On their 1994 debut album, Weezer incorporates numerous sounds, chords, and melodies, which together make this one of the best and most underappreciated records.

“Buddy Holly,” the widely recognized single from the album, begins with a rocking yet melancholy melody, then quickly transitions into an upbeat and cheerful-sounding tune. “Say it Ain’t So” diverts from the cheerful theme as it has a more pensive melody, with electric guitar ad-libs. 

“Only in Dreams” follows the downcast mood as it starts as a slow and instrumental-sounding piece, with hints of electric guitar and symbols. “In the Garage” has harmonica undertones as well as more electric guitar features that execute a folk-rock tune. 

Lead singer Rivers Cuomo has an alluring voice that richly complements the alternative rock style music the band is known for. 

Overall, Weezer (blue) is an intricately crafted and undervalued album that explores differing approaches to rock in each piece. More music fans need to appreciate its excellence and give it a listen.