demont technical

What to Binge Watch: ‘Abbott Elementary’ makes the grade

Abbott Elementary is a popular comedy show starting its third season. Photo courtesy of Hulu.
Abbott Elementary is a popular comedy show starting it’s third season. Photo courtesy of Hulu.

Running out of TV shows and movies to stream? The Purbalite is here to help, with another installment of our What to Binge Watch feature.

ABC’s comedy series Abbott Elementary looks to critique the funding of American public schools, while focusing on funny moments from the hectic lives of both new and experienced teachers.

Abbott Elementary, a public school in Philadelphia, features younger teachers trying to discover “the teacher (they) want to be” and veterans wrestling with a wave of technology. Bonds are built among the staff members throughout the inevitable high jinx.

Young second-grade teacher Janine Teagues, played by Quinta Brunson, has difficulty figuring out elements of both her personal relationships and her teaching, which forces her to rely more on her colleagues for support and advice.

Brunson does a great job portraying how Janine’s love for her students and the school drives her to do the most for the kids and their community.

Over two seasons, Abbott Elementary has combined the stresses of work-life balance with the witty comedy of a sitcom to create an entertaining show.

The growing romance between Janine and her colleague Gregory Eddie is overdone after two seasons of development with little result, but the show’s other comedic scenes make this show worth the watch.

Overall, with a third season just starting, Abbott Elementary is a great show for those who enjoy light-hearted comedy and sitcoms.