TWFG

TWFG

‘Hunger Games’ prequel provides new look at President Snow

‘Hunger Games’ returns showing a different side of President Snow. Photo courtesy of Lionsgate Films.

The Hunger Games movie franchise has returned with a prequel, which will not leave fans disappointed.

The franchise originally consisted of four popular movies, which all explore the concept of the Hunger Games and the fight for rebellion. But the newest movie, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, focuses on the early days of President Coriolanus Snow, played here by Tom Blyth.

Snow starts off as a young rebel during the annual Hunger Games. The rebels are matched to a district and paired with young tributes whom they are expected to mentor and guide to success. 

Snow mentors Lucy Gray (Rachel Zegler), a District 12 member who ends up finding love and betrayal brought on by her mentor.

The movie itself has many ups and downs, but this new perspective gives insight into why Snow acts the way he does throughout the series. This movie also shares many hidden meanings as to why he dislikes Katniss Everdeen in the first few films.

While the original movies showed Snow through Katniss’s eyes, this movie has Snow show newfound vulnerability. This will cause viewers to fall in love and back out of love with his character as they see how he treats Lucy Gray.

Newcomers to the franchise might be confused, so watching the first movies will provide the full context of what’s going on.

Overall, the movie is satisfying and refreshing. It offers not only a new perspective, but also new characters to create more of a dramatic storyline effect.