Zach Landscaping

Theater class to showcase the talents at Friday event

Baldwin will be hosting its first Theatre Showcase on Friday. Photo courtesy of Baldwin Theatre Program.

Baldwin’s theater program will present its first Theatre Showcase event this Friday in the auditorium, featuring scenes and monologues performed by the students in the theater class. 

“The showcase is a student-run event that serves as the final assessment for the class,” theater teacher Cassidy Cooper said. “As the teacher, I am there every step of the way to provide feedback or guidance, but ultimately the students are in charge of the event,” Cooper said. 

Students led the way through development of the showcase idea and onward, she said.

“They rehearse individual performances, serve as directors or stage managers, and ensure the event runs successfully on show night,” Cooper said.

Senior Julia Graham is looking forward to the Theatre Showcase. 

“The showcase will show family and other members of the community what we have learned in our theater class. Hannah Damiani and I are the student directors, so we have been directing the scenes,” Graham said. “I am looking forward to seeing the scenes I helped in directing, and I am excited to do my monologue.” 

Sophomore Emma Underwood said students have been working hard in rehearsals for the past few weeks. 

“I am excited for the entire class to have an opportunity to be on stage. Since there are limited parts in the fall play, some students can’t show off their talent on stage and do a lot of work behind the scenes. Having the Theatre Showcase allows everyone to have their moment on the stage,” Underwood said. 

The proceeds from the Theatre Showcase will benefit the theater program, allowing for future shows and new purchases for the program.

“After moving the play from January to November, it was my idea to add another theatrical event in January. This is our first year running this event, so I am really excited to see how it goes and how it may continue to develop in the future,” Cooper said. 

The tickets are $5 and can be purchased at the door. The show begins at 7 p.m., with the doors to the lobby opening at 6 p.m.