Advanced Exterior Cleaning

K-pop band Itzy brings empowerment message on new record

The+South+Korean+pop+girl+band+Itzy+has+started+the+new+year+off+with+a+bang+with+the+release+of+their+latest+and+third+overall+studio+album%2C+Born+to+Be.+Photo+via+JYP+Entertainment.+
The South Korean pop girl band Itzy has started the new year off with a bang with the release of their latest and third overall studio album, Born to Be. Photo via JYP Entertainment.

The South Korean pop girl band Itzy has started the new year off with a bang with the release of their latest and third overall studio album, Born to Be

All of the songs on the album have a strong and fearless message to them, emphasizing a recurring theme of female empowerment. In “Untouchable” there is a fast beat and heavy bass with the repeating phrase “Nothing gon’ stop me.” 

Similarly, in “Escalator” there is a hip-hop-like beat and electronic melody, sticking to the overall theme of the album. “Mr. Vampire” has a harp melody in the background of the track and soft resonances, exuding a variety of rhythms throughout the album. 

This album has individual features from all of the members of the group, giving each of them a well-deserved spotlight to reflect their individual brilliance. 

The lead dancer of the girl group, Ryujin, amplifies a 2000s rock melody in her addition to the album, “Run Away.” It is much like the song from the leader of the group, Yeji’s “Crown on My Head,” which has a rock melody intro that smoothly transitions into an electronic and hip hop-like beat. 

Meanwhile, rapper Lia captures a soft and airy R&B feel with her song, “Blossom.” Lead dancer Yuna erupts with a happy feeling and a fast-paced pop tune. Similarly, the main dancer Chaeyeon exudes catchy and slow but pop-like rhythms. 

Not necessarily staying within the boundaries of the “pop” in K-pop, Itzy implements various sounds and melodies in its latest album, making it well worth a listen.