AltusGroup

Baldwin students compete in KDKA’s Hometown High-Q

The+Hometown+High-Q+competition+is+a+tournament-style+academic+contest+where+three+teams+compete+at+a+time%2C+with+the+winner+moving+on.+Photo+via+KDKA.+
The Hometown High-Q competition is a tournament-style academic contest where three teams compete at a time, with the winner moving on. Photo via KDKA.

Juniors Addison Giglione and Samantha Niggel and senior Hannah Ferkett lost to Bethel Park and Ligonier Valley in the Hometown High Q competition that aired on KDKA.

Encompassing 81 area schools, the High Q competition is a tournament-style academic contest where three teams compete at a time, with the winner moving on. Contestants are quizzed on various subjects, ranging from math to science to literature.

The competition was held on Nov. 15, but the competition aired on Saturday.

Gifted teacher Jared Hoffman sees the competition as an important opportunity for his students.

“The Hometown High Q is a great academic skills competition where students get to shine and show off the knowledge that they’ve learned,” Hoffman said. “A competition that really encompasses every academic subject, I think, is an important and fun event for our students.”

The three contestants were selected with their specific skills in mind. Ferkett, the most experienced of the three, captained the team.

“This was Hannah’s second or third year participating. So this year we gave her the opportunity to captain because she had that experience,” Hoffman said. 

Giglione and Niggel were selected for their unique skills.

“Addison has always been on an advanced track in math, so she was an obvious pick for that math-based knowledge. Sammy has a very strong science base across the board, and also has a great geography and history background,” Hoffman said. 

The contestants answered questions in five different categories. They could gain points for correct answers, but they could also lose points for incorrect answers. 

“One of the math questions was, ‘what’s log base 10 of 10,’ and the answer was 1 because logs cancel out,” Giglione said. “We struggled more with the geography stuff, because at Baldwin we don’t really have a course that focuses on that.”

After this year’s loss, Hoffman thinks that more practice can help next year’s team.

“It is always very intimidating when you are asked questions and have to immediately respond,” Hoffman said. “And I think the more you practice and get comfortable, the better you’re going to do.” 

The competition will be aired again this Saturday at 11:30 a.m. on KDKA.