Behr bros

The 16 School Days of Christmas: Prayer, reflection make the season more meaningful

Some people focus on the shopping, but others keep in mind the religious significance of Christmas. Church service by Palnatoke is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 DEED.

When most people hear “Christmas,” they instantly think of giving and receiving gifts, singing songs, and preparing milk and cookies for Santa. But for Christians like me, this holiday has more meaning than just the guy in the big red suit.

For most Christians, the liturgical, or church, the year begins with Advent. This season is four weeks long. Typically, the readings and gospels, the messages from the Bible, were by people who lived in the period when Jesus, whom Christians believe is God’s son, was born. 

After four weeks, Christmas comes around, and the Christmas Eve vigil begins. In the vigil, the message is that Jesus is coming, but the readings differentiate for every church. The gospel begins with the genealogy of Jesus’ family and continues with a story about his birth.

There are benefits to being a Christian during Christmas time. When it comes to gifts, families do not need to worry about finding the “perfect” gift – because family members know the reason for the season. If kids do not get the gift they’ve always wanted, the world will not end because they know the true meaning of Christmas Day.

Kids whose families don’t go to church or anyone who may not be a part of a religion could take the time to reflect or pray for a moment to see the reason for the season.

Singing Christmas carols, watching movies, giving and receiving gifts, preparing milk and cookies for Santa, and many more Christmas traditions are all good. But perhaps more people should try to take a new approach to this upcoming holiday season and reflect on the actual reason for this holiday.