JRMVideoProduction

Islamov credits positive mentality for wrestling success

Junior Ramil Islamov sets a new record for Baldwin Wrestling after placing 4th in the state wrestling competition.
Kevin Hutchinson

Junior and wrestling team captain Ramil Islamov still remembers one of the most difficult losses of his wrestling career. 

At a county wrestling tournament, he was pitted against a wrestler from Pine-Richland. The result of the bout was not good.

“He absolutely blew me out of the water,” Islamov said.

As for why this happened, Islamov blames a negative mentality.

“Before the match I was already doubting myself, getting in my own head,” Islamov said.

But the story doesn’t end there. At the WPIAL tournament, Islamov faced the same competitor again.

“This time, I was totally in the zone,” Islamov said. “I ended up beating him that time. That’s definitely one of my favorite wins.”

For Islamov, the key was believing in himself and endlessly working to improve. 

“Mentality is the biggest thing. And this summer, I worked on a bunch of mentality exercises,” Islamov said. “If I believe I can beat anybody, then I can beat anybody.”

As one of the Baldwin wrestling team’s captains this year, Islamov holds himself responsible for leading his team – and ensuring that everyone is in top shape.

“He has that real athlete’s mentality. He’s always working hard,” senior and fellow captain Owen Klodowski said. “Even if you’re tired, he’ll push you to your limit. And we’ll push him to his limit. So it’s a win-win situation.”

Islamov doesn’t only wrestle for Baldwin school; he wrestles for a club team as well. Through constant practice, he seeks to improve.

“I started going to club with Keith (Mincin) and Owen (Klodowski), and that definitely got me better,” Islamov said. 

Islamov’s cousin, senior Lachin Islamov, is also on the team. Like many of his teammates, he admires his cousin’s work ethic. 

“He’s always working hard, both in and outside of practice,” Islamov said. At practice, Ramil and the other captains “make sure everyone’s on point, not messing around.”

For his part, Klodowski respects Islamov’s positive impact on the wrestling team.

“I think he’s a great leader, because everyone looks up to him,” Klodowski said. “Seeing how the wrestling program has grown, it’s good to see, and I think Ramil has been a big part of that.”

Islamov enjoys being a leader, and credits his team with helping him grow.

“We encourage each other a lot,” Islamov said. “Training with a team is one of the best things you can do, because you have people there who have your back.”

Wrestling season begins on Dec. 20 in a match against Mt. Lebanon.