SH Dance Academy

Boys basketball falls to T.J. in high-scoring game

The Baldwin Fighting Highlander basketball teams play in the 6A division.
Sara Scheeser

The Baldwin boys basketball team lost to Thomas Jefferson 78-67 on Tuesday.

T.J. started the game out very hot, shooting 11 of 12 from the three-point line. This allowed the Jaguars to get out to an early lead.

Although Baldwin kept even in the second half, they were unable to get back into the game because T.J. shot 79 percent from the field for the game. 

Senior Nate Richards, who scored 26 points, said the team has to perform better on defense.

“We all have to buy in on defense,” Richards said. “We cannot rely on one guy to stop the best player. We all have to be willing to play helpside.”

Junior Nate Wesling thought the Highlanders needed to be able to control the pace of the game better.

“We were being rushed on offense and letting them play how they wanted to,” Wesling said. “They ran a good offense and were able to share the ball around to find open shots.”

Baldwin did score 67 points in the game. In addition to Richards, other top scorers for Baldwin were Wesling, who had 16, and junior Caden Cherico, who had 12.

“Our offense is there, which is a good start,” Richards said. “But we have to be able to play throughout. It is always tough to play from behind early.”

The Highlanders play at home against Fox Chapel on Friday at 7:30 p.m.