wytiaz

The 16 School Days of Christmas: The Philly Specials score with another holiday album

A Philly Special Christmas can be enjoyed by Steelers fans. Photo via Vera Y Records.

Even Steelers fans should enjoy the new Christmas album by the members of the Philadelphia Eagles who call themselves The Philly Specials.

A Philly Special Christmas Special features Eagles players Jason Kelce, Jordan Mailata, and Lane Johnson. This album is their second, and it features special guests such as Patti LaBelle, Jordan Davis, Amos Lee, and Waxahatchee.

Most of the songs on the album are their own adaptations of older holiday songs. Some songs have references to Philadelphia added in, while others are kept the same.

For the most part, the songs are just as good as the originals. Highlights include “All I Want For Christmas Is You,” “Fairytale Of Philadelphia,” and “This Christmas.”

One of the main songs on the album is “Fairytale Of Philadelphia,” sung by Jason Kelce and his brother, Travis, who plays for the Kansas City Chiefs and dates Taylor Swift. It is their own cover of the song ”Fairytale of New York” by Irish band the Pogues, featuring Kirsty MacColl. 

The Philly Specials keep the same style and tempo of the song, but some of the lyrics are changed to reference Philadelphia.

Another memorable cover is the song “All I Want For Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey. This is one of the most iconic Christmas songs, and their cover of it is perfect.

The songs may not give the same nostalgic feeling as the originals do, but the album is still enjoyable.