wytiaz

wytiaz

The 16 School Days of Christmas: The live-action ‘Grinch’ is best

‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas’ stars Jim Carrey as the Grinch. Photo via Universal Studios

Since the release of the iconic Dr. Suess book How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, there have been three movies inspired by it – some better than others. 

The classic film version of it was released in 1966 by director Chuck Jones. Jones does not attempt to make many differences from the original book. Instead, he simply brings the book to life on the screen in animated form. 

The character designs are almost identical to those in the book, and the sequence of events remains the same. One of the biggest concerns fans have about book-based movies is whether the movie will accurately portray the book, and Jones does just that. 

Overall, this movie version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas! most accurately depicts the book that everyone knows and loves. The only criticism is that because he replicates the book, Jones does not express many of his own creative ideas. So this movie easily could be made by anyone if they simply follow the book. 

Decades later, a live-action version was released: How the Grinch Stole Christmas only drops the exclamation point from the title. 

This movie is the perfect combination of the classic book with a more modern idea of the town of Whoville. Additionally, casting Jim Carrey for the role of Grinch is the best choice the director Ron Howard could have made. There is no better fit for a live-action Grinch than Carrey; his comedic presence and charismatic expressions make the role feel as though it was made for him. 

The film resembles exactly what fans would have imagined for a live-action Grinch story. Also, adding a backstory for why the Grinch is the way he is offers a new perspective on him that the audience could not gain from the book. 

Ultimately, this version of the film has little room for criticism. It allowed Howard’s creativity to shine through the film by giving not only the Grinch a backstory but the people of Whoville more development as characters and creating different conflicts throughout the film. It is a great watch and should be on everyone’s Christmas movie watchlist. 

The latest movie version is The Grinch, which takes a different approach to the classic animated version, How the Grinch Stole Christmas! 

Based on this movie’s animation style alone, it is far off from the book and original animated version. The Grinch does not look nearly as menacing and the Whos barely looks like Whos anymore. 

The movie remains similar to the concepts of the original but is nowhere near as good in comparison. Like the live-action version, this film provides more developed character stories and gives the Whos a bigger role in the movie, but it goes too far off from the basis of the book. 

The voice actors chosen to play the characters are another letdown. For the Grinch and Cindy Lou Who especially, the voices just don’t fit the characters. 

This movie is not worth watching this holiday season – or ever. 

For viewers looking for the best Grinch movie to watch this holiday season, it would be the live-action How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Not only does it contain the most lovable moments from the book, but it also has its own creative touch. The casting choices are great and the more developed character stories put this film on top.