bonneau

Brown’s new record offers offbeat production

Danny Brown describes his struggles and his loss of purpose. Photo via YHM studios.

As Detroit rapper Danny Brown’s first solo project in four years, the newly released Quaranta delivers on multiple levels. 

With his five-star lyricism and weird production, Brown is able to express multiple feelings and discuss past personal issues, which his fans thought he had solved. The production on the album is so unusual and static that it perfectly matches Brown’s previous high-energy, almost industrial songs of past projects. 

Songs like “Tantor,” “Jenn’s Terrific Vacation,” and “Celibate” perfectly personify Brown’s offbeat style. They tackle his sobriety, mental health, and past traumas while also speaking on the struggles of growing up in Detroit. 

Brown grimly describes his struggles and his loss of purpose as a 40-year-old rapper, while submerging these darker lyrics in strange, upbeat sounding tracks. 

A prime example of his dark, almost horrorcore-like lyricism peeking through the cracks of weirdness can be seen on the track “Dark Sword Angel.” The beat features ’50s era science fiction synths, and Brown utilizes his maniacal laugh ad lib. 

Overall, Quaranta is a standout album in Brown’s discography, combining all previous elements from his earlier work into an amazing project.