Gormley

Baldwin Bean ready to open

The Baldwin Bean will open Thursday for the first time this school year.

The coffee shop will be open second and third periods on Tuesdays and Thursdays. 

Initially, the Bean’s menu will remain the same as it was during the previous years. The menu includes muffins, cookies, tea, and a variety of lattes. 

On opening day, there will be raffles to win magnets and mugs with the Baldwin Bean logo printed on them. 

The Bean plans to sell steel Tumbler cups with the Bean logo printed on them, which would give students 25 cents off every latte or tea they order with the cup. 

Teacher Eric Jankoski and paraprofessional Norma Andrulonis have been in charge of the Baldwin Bean since its opening in 2019. Jankoski said he loves “how excited students are. It’s been awhile but multiple people have stopped by to ask about the opening.”

Every year, the first quarter of the school year is used to train students on how to greet customers, package items, and serve them. 

“The workers are mainly volunteers from the Partners PE and art classes as well as students who will be transitioning into the workforce who may need help,” Andrulonis said.

The Bean plays a valuable role for the volunteers, Andrulonis said.

“We teach the students valuable skills, like cooperation with co-workers, day-to-day work duties, and social experiences,” Andrulonis said. 

Jobs for the students involved include baristas, custodial workers, and servers. 

During the teaching process, students are put through a multitude of scenarios to learn what to do when the cafe opens.