Hula hoops earn a 3-peat

Emilee Gruntz

BY EMILEE GRUNTZ
Staff Writer

Watching random YouTube videos about dancing led junior Alana Martucci to winning the talent show for a third straight year.
After stumbling across a hula hoop video on YouTube unexpectedly three years ago, Martucci became fascinated with the idea.
“After I saw the idea I knew instantly that it was what I wanted to start doing and I love it. However, like most things, it takes lots of time and dedication,” Martucci said.
The 17 acts in this year’s talent show ranged from singing and magic tricks to impressive light shows.
“The event really showcased the talent in our school and the acts were all really entertaining,” junior Kayla Quinn said.

Martucci amazed the crowd with her LED light-up hula hoops.
“I did not have any expectations of the night. I just wanted to focus on the performance. I felt very surprised and thankful to have won again,” Martucci said.
Martucci taught herself the moves and created her own routines with the help of YouTube videos.
“As a freshman I thought it would be fun and a great way to meet people and it has proved to be so. Every year I got the opportunity to be on stage and perform with an amazing group of people,” Martucci said.
Freshman Gaige Grzelka’s dance, meanwhile, lit up the night with his LED shoes.
“Gaige was absolutely amazing and super talented. I could really tell that he loves to dance and that he is passionate about it. I really enjoyed watching him perform,” Martucci said.
The event lets students come together and flaunt their talents in hopes of winning a cash prize.
The first-place winner took home $100 and the second-place winner took home $50.
“You can never have enough hoops,” Martucci said regarding her plans for the prize money.
Next year, Martucci will go for the four-year sweep.
“I plan to continue performing if I am able to. Participating in the talent show has been a truly amazing experience,” Martucci said.
The talent show not only showcases student talents, but also helps support multiple causes.
The girls lacrosse team has been hosting the talent show for the past six years. The event not only raises money for the program but also for a charity of the team’s choice.
In past years the team has donated to local families in the community with health needs. The charity for this year has yet to be decided.
Coach Rich Deemer assisted the team in organizing the event.
“We like giving back to the community and just having the whole school try and come together at an event like this,” Deemer said.