Luminous

Cross country teams compete at WPIAL finals

Eliza Swanson
Baldwin’s boys and girls cross country teams compete in WPIALs

The Baldwin boys and girls cross country teams competed in WPIALs Thursday at White Oak Park in McKeesport. 

No Highlanders qualified to move on to states. The girls team placed 18th out of 27, and boys teams placed 22nd out 24. 

Individually, Baldwin was led by Kenzie Hirt, who placed 45th out of 184 female runners, and Alex Castaneda, who placed 46th out of 250 male runners.

While the teams ran well, they could have done more, sophomore Molly Gorman said.

“The team focused more on time where we should have been more focused on placement,” Gorman said. 

Nerves were an issue, sophomore McKinley Beech said.

“We were very tense and nervous going into the race. We should have been more relaxed and loose,” Beech said. 

Course conditions were a little bit of an issue as well, with muddy spots making it harder for runners. 

While the team was not fully satisfied with their performance, moods were still high by the end of the meet, the last of the season. 

“While yesterday didn’t go as planned, the season was still fun just to be there with everyone,” Gorman said.