todd

Fry has stepped up as soccer captain

Nico Macurak
Senior Mikey Fry is captain of the boys soccer team.

Senior boys soccer player Mikey Fry has been around the sport of soccer his whole life, but senior year has by far been the most eventful.  

“Our most exciting game this year was against Chartiers Valley where we won 2-1,” Fry said. “We played a very well rounded game on both sides of the ball. It was a super intense game and the energy was high, which helped us win.”

Another big moment for Fry this year came when he was named captain.

“I knew I had to step up as both a player and a leader. It was a bit nerve-racking at first, but I think I settled into the role as team captain,” Fry said. 

Fry’s leadership has had a positive impact on his teammates this season.

“Mikey is a great leader for the team because of how he pushes everyone to do their best every day. He’s always the first one there and the last one to leave practices and games,” junior Anthony DiCesaro said. 

He also has a great attitude, DiCesaro said.

“Mikey adds a lot of confidence to the team. He makes sure everyone knows what they are doing wrong, and when they do it right, he lets them know too,” Dicesaro said.

Junior Will Penrod agreed.

“Mikey is great to play with because he’s a very good influence for the other players on the team. It doesn’t matter if they are the same grade or underclassmen, he’s always trying to be the best leader by keeping the team in check in the locker or in the classroom,” junior Will Penrod said. 

The Highlanders have not had the year they wished for, but it’s hard when competing at the level they do, Fry said. 

“We have had to fight through a lot of adversity and be on the top of our game because we are in the best section in the WPIAL,” Fry said. 

As for himself, Fry has had a solid individual season. 

“I have been playing attacking midfield and this year I have four goals and five assists. I’ve noticed myself playing better when I feel relaxed and have fun,” Fry said. 

Fry hopes to have left a big enough impact on the Baldwin team for future years. 

“I think I’ve been doing a good job on preparing the underclassmen for their future years, whether that is giving them pointers on what they can work on, all the way to being able to take coaching and how to become a leader,” Fry said.