Detailing

Slowdrive’s return shows growth

Slowdrives+new+album%2C+Everything+is+Alive%2C+ventures+a+modern+indie+rock+territory.+
Image via Wikimedia Commons
Slowdrive’s new album, Everything is Alive, ventures a modern indie rock territory.

Slowdive’s fifth and most recent release, Everything is Alive, ventures into a more modern, indie-rock territory, but begs the question of whether resurgences are necessary. 

The band is best known for its piece Souvlaki, which explored dark and intense sounds that seemingly told a story – and was released almost 30 years ago. 

Slowdive’s musical silence lasted from 1995 to 2017, and when the band returned with its self-titled album, fans were greeted with familiar dissonance and lengthy tracks, along with a new, upbeat sound. 

To many, Everything is Alive is a deterioration. In reality, it is a beautiful example of artistic liberty. 

A common critique of modern music is that it’s too different from artists’ original work. But while Everything is Alive is a long reach away from Souvlaki, it still adequately creates a melancholy and mature sound, which gracefully tells the story of how the band has grown. 

The album features much more clear and clean vocals, like in the track “Andalucia Plays.” Meanwhile, “The Slab,” the final track on the album, features instrumentals that are some of the best that Slowdive has ever put out. 

For music fans who enjoy long instrumentals and dark sounds, stick with Souvlaki. However, for emotions in the range of growth and healing, combined with a more developed sound, look no further than Everything is Alive.