Cirrus Advisors

`You Are So Not Invited’ offers refreshing take on coming-of-age genre

You+Are+So+Not+Invited+to+My+Bat+Mitzvah+leaves+viewers+feeling+nostalgic.+
Photo via IMDb
You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah leaves viewers feeling nostalgic.

Netflix’s new comedy movie You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah focuses on the life of a young girl, Stacy Friedman, navigating the challenge of growing up while also embracing her cultural heritage and traditions.  

The movie is an adaption of Fiona Rosenbloom’s 2005 novel of the same name, and stars the whole Sandler family, with Adam Sandler playing Danny Friedman, father to daughters Stacy played by Sunny Sandler, and Ronnie played by Sadie Sandler. Jackie Sandler is also in the movie playing a side character as Stacy’s best friend Lydia’s mom. 

While the movie does have a predictable plot, it shines the most when it focuses on the idea that the dark sides of growing up — bullying, rumors, and exclusion — make people feel like the whole world is against them. It also positively reinforces the idea that with the support of people who care for you, and by standing up for yourself, people can find their place in the world. 

What makes the movie stand out from all the other coming-of-age stories is its ability to blend in the themes of growing up within the context of a bat mitzvah. It ties in Stacy’s journey of self-discovery to the values associated with the bat mitzvah celebration, shedding light on traditions that might be unfamiliar to some. 

Most Sandler movies would be incomplete without comedy, and this film is packed with humor that keeps the viewers engaged. The characters are all well-developed, with their own vulnerabilities that make them relatable. 

You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah is relatable to many, whether the viewer is a teenager going through the same things, or someone past that stage looking back on life. The movie feels nostalgic and leaves viewers feeling warm as it celebrates diversity along with the power of friendship and family.