Rexrode overcame injury to win WPIALs again

Carson Chapel and Nico Macurak

Just before sophomore Abby Rexrode’s gymnastic season was set to start, she suffered what she feared could be a season-ending ankle injury.

“It was a week before my high school season started. I was at a competition for my club team Premier USAG and I finished my event, but fractured my ankle during it,” Rexrode said.

The early injury made her nervous and she doubted whether she would get to participate in any Baldwin gymnastics competitions this year, she said. Rexrode let the injury heal itself by resting it, but she was motivated to get back as soon as possible.

“Even injured, I would come to practice and attempt what I could,” Rexrode said.

Not only did Rexode make it back to compete, but she once again won WPIALs. Because of that accomplishment, she has been named the Purbalite Female Athlete of the Year for the second straight year.

Two of Rexrode’s teammates, sophomores Sophia Ross and Anabelle Herrle, saw Rexrode’s dedication through her injury.

“I have seen Abby fight through injuries, but even through these injuries she has always had an uplifting attitude and cheered on her team,” Rossa said.

Rexrode is not the type of person to take a full rest, Herrle said.

“She always went to practice and did the little things. She always stayed conditioned to stay strong,” Herrle said.

Soon Rexrode was back and performing at her best as she finished the season with another WPIAL title.

“It feels great that the hard work is starting to pay off. It really feels amazing,” Rexrode said.

Rexrode won WPIALs and states last year. This year she competed at states, but finished fifth all around, though she did take first in bars.

“I feel like this year was the better year, because the scores went up in my events and my routines went smoother,” Rexrode said.

On a team level, Baldwin combined with Thomas Jefferson to form one team, unless the two were scheduled to compete against each other.

I just like to stay positive and if something goes wrong, I just try to move on from it. I try to block it out and tell myself that I have put in the practice and I can do this.

— Abby Rexrode

“I like it because we all support each other even though we are from different schools,” Rexrode said. “Even when we would compete against each other, we would cheer each other on.”

In her first two high school seasons, Rexrode has achieved an immense amount of success. Her positive attitude is important.

“I just like to stay positive and if something goes wrong, I just try to move on from it. I try to block it out and tell myself that I have put in the practice and I can do this,” Rexrode said.

Another component is her ability to relax before competitions.

“The bus rides were a time where I could relax and have fun with my teammates before my competitions,” Rexrode said.

Her favorite memory from the year came when “we won the competition to secure the section win, and that was against Pine Richland,” Rexrode said.

Throughout her busy season, Rexrode has had a positive effect on her teammates.

“Abby never gives up and that has taught me to not give up,” Rossa said.

Herrle, who has competed with Rexrode since she was 5 years old, agreed.

“Her confidence boosted my confidence with her continuous support,” Herrle said.