Some students have expressed frustration with the scheduling process this year.

Sam Tobiczyk

Pro/Con: Scheduling change divides students

April 3, 2023

New system will be better for students

This year’s new scheduling process is much better and effective. Students no longer have to go through the trouble of putting each class in a particular time slot to try to make everything work out.

In recent years, students have not only picked the classes they wanted, but also the periods they wanted to take each one, through arena scheduling. But this year, administrators said, too many students failed to enter the required seven credits or the necessary elective alternatives, which made it hard to determine how many sections of each course to offer.

As a result, administrators and counselors will make the schedules for every high schooler, which should relieve the stress of many students.

Under the plan, students have a much better chance of getting the classes they want and need, with no worries if there would be room in the class for them to take it. First, during the arena scheduling process last year, the wifi would go out or crash, causing students to lose their classes and requiring them to start all over. This will no longer be a problem. 

Also, many students struggle with getting their classes set up due to overlapping periods of certain classes. This stress has now been relieved, with students no longer having to worry about this.

Additionally, there will be no issues with kids picking classes only to be with their friends, instead of having a real interest in the subject. They now will have an opportunity to meet new people and even get better grades from focusing on the class more.

Importantly, the administration can see which credits students need and help get their classes lined up correctly, so students can meet all of their graduation requirements.

Finally, many students take advantage of arena scheduling by taking many study halls and not the courses that they really need. So the school now can see how many study halls students are taking.