100 Gecs return with creative sophomore album

Photo courtesy Andreas Lawen

10,000 Gecs was released in 2023 as 100 Gecs’ second album.

Sam Tobiczyk, News Editor

10,000 Gecs, the second studio album from hyper-pop duo 100 Gecs, is a more sophisticated version of their intentionally stupid music.

In 2019, the group released their debut, 1000 Gecs, to relatively positive critical reception. More importantly, though, they took the internet by storm. Some hated them, some loved them, but no matter where one stood in this debate, everyone recognized the off-the-wall musical style they presented to the listener.

This record is a more developed and musical version of their former release.

Take the opener, “Dumbest Girl Alive.” After a short intro, it begins with a metal-like, fiery guitar line that shocks the listener with warbly distinction. This guitar is then joined by heavy drum beats, both finally disappearing for the traditional gecs style of snare and synth filled hyper-pop with distorted vocals.

It is an exhilarating opening track that sets the tone for the record.

“757” is the next track, continuing the dynamic synths and fluffy warped vocals, creating an unforgettable chorus with “Seven-fifty-seven / Yeah, I’ll never go to heaven.” This track is a paragon of creativity, like the majority of gecs’ work, featuring samples from Star Wars and unique instrumentation.

Hollywood Baby” is the closest the duo will ever get to a ballad. Featuring a pop-punk guitar riff,  the track feels like Gecs’ spin on the 2000s iteration of the genre. It even features similar sentiments, with themes of angst and depression.

Doritos & Fritos” is easily the most striking moment on the project. Including despondent vocals and ear-shattering synths, the track by some je ne sais quoi manages to be a quality song. Maybe it’s the pop sensibilities, idiosyncratic lyrics, or the passionate chorus, but either way the track is possibly the best of the LP.

While “Dumbest Girl Alive” took inspiration from metal music, “Bill Knows Jamie” is basically a full-fledged metal track. With screamed lyrics, seething guitar, and edgy lyrics, the explosiveness of the song should not be lost on any listener, even those unfamiliar with the intensity.

A small departure from quality comes from “One Million Dollars,” with vocals only coming from the auto generated TikTok voice, and not the actual singers of the duo. The track is bursting with creativity beyond the AI voice, but the vocals are just as annoying here as they are on millions of TikTok videos.

Another questionable moment is “Frog On The Floor,” a novelty ska track. 

The Gecs are no stranger to novelty ska songs, with “Stupid Horse” from their previous work being their first instance of this. That track works because of its unexpectedness and silly lyrics. 

“Frog On The Floor” doesn’t work for the exact same reasons. Fans expected another ska song, so it just seems like the duo is trying to recapture the dying ludicrosity of “Stupid Horse.” And somehow the lyrics are too silly, with the track being akin to a hyper-ska-pop “Cotton Eye Joe.”

But the closer, “Mememe,” manages to incorporate this ska successfully, feeling like a culmination of the entire record. Distorted vocals, ska instrumentation, and hyper-pop intuition all contribute to a full-blasting end of the record.

Even though the album features a few missteps, 10,000 Gecs manages to one-up its predecessor, simply being a better work of music. 100 Gecs secure their place in the ranks of the best hyper-experimental artists in recent memory, being sure to leave a lasting influence on music as a whole.